Monday 12 November 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes

My Mom, who has a large garden came over with several Green Tomatoes.  The weather has changed in Toronto and her garden's growth has ended for the season.  So what to do?  I started thinking about a movie from my childhood, Fried Green Tomatoes.  I realise that availability of green tomatoes is low, but my cooking is about what I have in my house, to be inspired by the season, the flavours and this is no exception.



Fried Green Tomatoes

-Green tomatoes sliced
-1/2 cup breadcrumbs
-1 tablespoon chili powder
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
-salt and pepper
-oil to coat the bottom of the pan
-1 small purple onion chopped

Mix all the dry ingredients together and ensure that the mixture is thoroughly mixed, so the flavour is consistent.  Cut the tomatoes, if it is the bottom piece peel the skin off so that you can have the mixture stick to the tomato.  I did not want to use eggs, so for each piece of tomato I placed it in the dry mix and used some pressure to ensure that the coating sticks.  I then heated olive oil in the pan and sliced up the onion, I started cooking the tomatoes and place the onions around, I flipped the tomatoes after a few minutes when they browned, stirring the onions at the same time.  It took about 6 minutes in total cooking time.  These were delicious, especially with the addition of the onion.  I also dipped them in sweet chili sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment