Tuesday 19 February 2013

Tarragon Rubbed Roasted Chicken

I had written this herb off, years ago I ate it and disliked it, so I thought I should really try this spice.  So, I made two tarragon recipes.  I started by actually eating tarragon.  So I felt a pasta sauce would work well and I also felt that cooking a rubbed chicken would also induce my children try tarragon.  it has a rich licorice flavour.  My kids essentially inhaled the chicken.  So it was a success.

Tarragon Rubbed Roasted Chicken

-1 chicken, washed, and skin lifted
-1 onion half to stuff inside the chicken
-1 full lemon including zest
-2 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons tarragon chopped plus 2 sprigs of tarragon to stuff the chicken
-2 gloves of garlic (1 to stuff in chicken)
-2 shallots chopped
-1/2 cup white wine
-salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375.  Zest the lemon and set aside the lemon zest, cut lemon in half.  Chop two cloves of garlic, tarragon, shallots.  In a small bowl mix together the tarragon, garlic, shallots, and lemon zest. In a pan placed the washed chicken (make sure you pat it dry) and gently separate the skin up to be able to stuff butter under the skin.  Inside the chicken a shake sea salt and freshly ground pepper, then stuff with half a lemon, half an onion, 2 sprigs of tarragon and garlic.  Take the butter mixture and coat the chicken ensuring that tarragon, garlic, and shallots are placed under the skin.  Squeeze the other half of lemon over the chicken and add the wine to the bottom of pan.  Cook in the oven for about an hour and 10 minutes.  (depending on size of chicken).  The skin should be crispy and the chicken moist and delicious.  You can make an amazing gravy out of the dripping by transferring to a pot, boiling and adding corn starch or flour mixture.






No comments:

Post a Comment