Thursday 11 October 2012

Sesame Butternut Squash Soup with Orange and Coconut Milk

I love the autumn, it is a time of year to be eating squash, stews and soup.  This soup is hearty, delicious and fills your home with lovely scent.  I know this is the second orange soup, but it is also that time of year to catch colds.  My full time job is as a nurse and I am always mindful of this time of year.  The flavours of squash and orange compliment each other, then top with sesame seeds to add depth to the dish.

Sesame Butternut Squash Soup with Orange and Coconut  Milk

-1 tablespoon sesame oil
-2 onions chopped
-1 medium butternut squash
-900ml of veggie broth
-1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
-zest and juice on 1 orange
-1 can of coconut milk

roasted sesame seeds to top.

In a pot add oil and onions, on medium heat.  Allow to cook until soft, then add the butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into chunks, and the veggie broth.  Allow to cook until it is soft, add the ginger and coconut milk, zest the orange and the juice.  Allow to simmer on low, purée until smooth and top with roasted sesame seeds.  It could be cooking in about an hour or left to simmer on low for a few hours.

I could smell the soup down the hallway in my apartment, so I like to let it simmer.


No comments:

Post a Comment